This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held in the Wilson Library at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in our reading room, and not digitally available through the World Wide Web. See the Duplication Policy section for more information.
This collection was rehoused under the sponsorship of a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities, Office of Preservation, Washington, D.C., 1990-1992.
|Abstract||James A. Johnston was a resident of Iredell County, N.C. The collection includes a bill of sale for a slave, 1845; four pages listing births and deaths, presumably chiefly of slaves, 1825-1861; and a letter, 1864, from J. A. Johnston, serving as hospital steward at the Confederate hospital at Petersburg, Va.|
|Creator||Johnston, James A., b. 1809.|
The following terms from Library of Congress Subject Headings suggest topics, persons, geography, etc. interspersed through the entire collection; the terms do not usually represent discrete and easily identifiable portions of the collection--such as folders or items.
Clicking on a subject heading below will take you into the University Library's online catalog.
James A. Johnston (b. 1809), was a merchant, planter, and slaveholder of Iredell County, N.C. In 1864, he served as a steward in a Confederate Army field hospital in Petersburg, Va.Back to Top
The three items in this collection are an 1845 bill of sale for Johnston's purchase of a 23-year-old black slave named Henry for $450 from David Holdsclaw of Iredell County, N.C.; an 1864 letter from Johnston in Petersburg, Va., where he was serving as a hospital steward, to his uncle about Johnston's activities; and a list of birth and death records, presumably for black slaves, with entries ranging from 1825 to 1867.Back to Top
Processed by: Patrick Huber, September 1992
Encoded by: ByteManagers Inc., 2008
This collection was rehoused under the sponsorship of a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities, Office of Preservation, Washington, D.C., 1990-1992.Back to Top