This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held in the Wilson Library at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in our reading room, and not digitally available through the World Wide Web. See the Duplication Policy section for more information.
This collection was rehoused and a summary created with support from the National Endowment for the Humanities; this finding aid was created with support from NC ECHO.
|Size||0.5 feet of linear shelf space (approximately 850 items)|
|Abstract||North Carolina College, a Lutheran educational institution in Carrabus County, N.C., was founded in 1853 under the name of Western Carolina Male Academy, becoming the North Carolina College in 1859 and Mount Pleasant Collegiate Institute in 1902. The collection includes bills, receipts, and other papers of successive treasurers and of the board of trustees, petitions about hiring and firing, business letters, and administrative reports of North Carolina College.|
|Creator||North Carolina College (Mt. Pleasant, N.C.)|
The following terms from Library of Congress Subject Headings suggest topics, persons, geography, etc. interspersed through the entire collection; the terms do not usually represent discrete and easily identifiable portions of the collection--such as folders or items.
Clicking on a subject heading below will take you into the University Library's online catalog.
North Carolina College, a Lutheran educational institution in Mt. Pleasant, N.C., was founded as the Western Carolina Male Academy by decision of the North Carolina Synod of the Lutheran Church meeting at Concord, N.C., 1852. The school opened in 1853 under the presidency of William Gerhart. In 1859 the institution became the North Carolina College under D. H. Bittle and continued under that name until 1901. From 1902 until its closing in 1933, the institution operated as a secondary school known as the Mount Pleasant Collegiate Institute. Presidents of the school included William Gerhart, 1855-1858; D. H. Bittle, 1859-1861; L. A. Bikle, 1866-1867, 1868-1874, and 1878-1881; C. F. Bansemer, 1867-1868; J. B. Davis, 1875-1877; G. D. Bernheim, 1882-1883; G. F. Schaeffen, 1883-1887; J. G. Schaidt, 1887-1889; J. D. Shirey, 1889-1896; M. G. Scherer, 1896-1899; E. Bowers, 1899-1900; and W. A. Lutz, 1900-1902. Others involved in the administration of the school included C. Melchor, John. L. Shimpock, L. G. Heilig, Mathias Barrier, Alex Foil, and Jonas Cook.Back to Top
The collection includes bills, receipts, and other papers of successive treasurers and of the board of trustees, petitions about hiring and firing, business letters, and administrative reports of North Carolina College.Back to Top
Processed by: SHC Staff
Encoded by: Noah Huffman, December 2007
Updated by: Kate Stratton and Jodi Berkowitz, April 2009
This collection was rehoused and a summary created with support from the National Endowment for the Humanities.
This finding aid was created with support from NC ECHO.Back to Top