This collection has access restrictions. For details, please see the restrictions.
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held in the Wilson Library at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in our reading room, and not digitally available through the World Wide Web. See the Duplication Policy section for more information.
|Size||1.5 feet of linear shelf space (approximately 4 items)|
|Abstract||The Concord Steam Cotton Factory, also referred to as the Concord Manufacturing Company, was organized by Paul Barringer and others in Concord, N.C., in 1836. It produced cotton yarn, shirting, and nails. It was succeeded in 1879 by the Odell Manufacturing Company, which went out of business in 1907. A volume containing acts of incorporation, records of stocks and property, and minutes of meetings of the board of directors and general stockholders of the Concord Steam Cotton Factory; and two related items, 1839-1861. Also included is a typed carbon copy of minutes of stockholders' meetings, 1879-1902, of the Odell Manufacturing Company.|
|Creator||Concord Steam Cotton Factory (Concord, N.C.)|
The following terms from Library of Congress Subject Headings suggest topics, persons, geography, etc. interspersed through the entire collection; the terms do not usually represent discrete and easily identifiable portions of the collection--such as folders or items.
Clicking on a subject heading below will take you into the University Library's online catalog.
The Concord Steam Cotton Factory, also referred to as the Concord Manufacturing Company, was organized 16 February 1839 by a group of six entrepreneurs. General Paul Barringer served as the first president. Other notable founders included John T. Phifer, Daniel Moreau Barringer (1806-1873), and Robert Washington Allison (1809-1898). The business started with capital of $24,000 and 600 spindles shipped from Fishkill, N.Y. This was the first cotton mill on record in Cabarrus County, N.C.
William Jenks, a Pennsylvanian, was the mill's first mechanic, but was replaced by John McDonald, also from Pennsylvania, before operations actually began. By April 1842, the mill was in full operation, producing cotton yarn, shirting, and nails. A year later, the company paid its first dividend at three percent per share. In 1859, John McDonald took over the ownership and management of the mill. The factory remained in operation during the Civil War and supplied cloth for uniforms.
In 1879, John Milton Odell purchased the firm and, with financial backing from seven other stockholders, built the Odell Manufacturing Company on the same property. Odell was the president and major stockholder, and his son William was secretary- treasurer. The Odell Manufacturing Company operated until 1907, when, in the face of worsening economic conditions and declining profits, the firm went bankrupt. Most of the mill itself burned in August 1908.
Source: Gary Freeze, unpublished dissertation, UNC-CH, and information supplied by the Charles A. Cannon Memorial Library.Back to Top
A volume containing acts of incorporation, records of stocks and property, and minutes of meetings of the board of directors and general stockholders of the Concord Steam Cotton Factory; and two related items, 1839-1861. Also included is a typed carbon copy of minutes of stockholders' meetings, 1879-1902, of the Odell Manufacturing Company.Back to Top
1839-1861. 161 pages, with pages 1-85 and 143-154 actually used to record information pertaining to the stockholders and board of directors. Included are acts of incorporation, meeting minutes for the board of directors and general stockholders, records of property, value reports, and records of stocks purchased and transferred. #04474-z, Series: "Concord Steam Cotton Factory Records, 1839-1902." 1
Processed by: Benjamin H. Trask, January 1987; Roslyn Holdzkom, October 1988
Encoded by: ByteManagers Inc., 2008Back to Top