This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held in the Wilson Library at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in our reading room, and not digitally available through the World Wide Web. See the Duplication Policy section for more information.
|Size||About 70 items|
|Abstract||Ray T. Adams was a meat wholesaler in Washington, D.C., who purchased the Whalehead Club, which occupied a Corolla, N.C., beach mansion owned by Adams, 1939-1957. The collection includes scrapbooks, a guestbook, photograph albums, newspaper clippings, and other material of Ray T. Adams, relating to the Whalehead Club.|
|Creator||Adams, Ray T., d. 1957.|
|Curatorial Unit||Southern Historical Collection|
The following terms from Library of Congress Subject Headings suggest topics, persons, geography, etc. interspersed through the entire collection; the terms do not usually represent discrete and easily identifiable portions of the collection--such as folders or items.
Clicking on a subject heading below will take you into the University Library's online catalog.
Ray T. Adams (d. 1957), a wealthy Washington, D.C., meat wholesaler, purchased the Whalehead Club near Corolla, N.C., in 1939. On 6 August 1942, Adams leased his property for the duration of World War II to the United States Coast Guard. After the war, he tried unsuccessfully to promote the property as a luxury resort area.
Prior to Adams's purchase of the Whalehead Club, the property was owned by Edward C. Knight, Jr., a noted Detroit architect. Knight had been a member of a hunting club, the Light House Club, from whom he purchased the land in 1922. Knight and his wife built a huge and elaborate mansion which served as Adams's hunting lodge and remained standing as of 1972.
Upon Adams's death in 1957, the Whalehead property was sold to Portsmouth contractor George T. McLean, who leased the house in 1959 as a boys' summer school, Corolla Academy. The school closed after only two summers. In 1962, the land was leased and later sold to the Atlantic Research Corporation for use as a solid fuel rocket testing station. Abandoned later in the 1960s, the property was purchased again in 1972 by private investors, Whale's Head Development Corporation, who planned to convert the property into a resort area.Back to Top
The collection includes scrapbooks, a guestbook, photograph albums, newspaper clippings, and other material of Ray T. Adams, relating to the Whalehead Club, in Corolla, N.C.Back to Top
Chiefly newspaper clippings about the Whalehead Club and clippings about the development of the Corolla, N.C., area. Other material is printed information about Corolla Academy and advertising brochures of the Whalehead Club.
Oversize Volume SV-4430/1-4
|Oversize Volume SV-4430/5|
Photograph Album PA-4430/1-2
|Extra Oversize Image Folder XOP-PF-4430/1|
Oversize volumes (SV-4430/1-5)
Photograph albums (PA-4430/1-2)
Photographs (XOP-PF-4430/1)Back to Top