This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held in the Wilson Library at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in our reading room, and not digitally available through the World Wide Web. See the Duplication Policy section for more information.
|Abstract||W. Creighton Campbell (fl. 1876-1880) was a Presbyterian minister in West Virginia. The collection contains two volumes. The first is a diary kept by Campbell for just over one year, 28 May 1879 to 1 April 1880, relating to his life and ministry in Harper's Ferry, W.Va. The second, earlier volume, dated 1876 to 1879, is comprised of four main sections: the constitution, bylaws, and meeting minutes of the Berkeley Springs Library and Reading Room Association of which Campbell was one of four directors; notes on the history of Protestant churches since the Reformation; sermon notes on prophecy and three books of the New Testament; and 14 undated diary entries.|
|Creator||Campbell, W. Creighton, fl. 1876-1880.|
The following terms from Library of Congress Subject Headings suggest topics, persons, geography, etc. interspersed through the entire collection; the terms do not usually represent discrete and easily identifiable portions of the collection--such as folders or items.
Clicking on a subject heading below will take you into the University Library's online catalog.
W. Creighton Campbell (fl. 1876-1880) lived in Berkeley Springs, Morgan County, W.Va., and served as a Presbyterian minister in Harper's Ferry, W.Va.Back to Top
Two volumes offer a look at a short period, 1876 to 1880, in the life of W. Creighton Campbell, a Presbyterian minister in West Virginia. His diary, dated 28 May 1879 to 1 April 1880 (58 p.), is comprised of daily, one-paragraph entries of varying lengths. At this time, Campbell was leading a church in Harper's Ferry, W.Va. He used his diary to record social encounters, progress in the writing of each week's sermon, and his judgment of both the sermons and the congregation's response to them. He continued to make daily, though increasingly short, entries before abruptly abandoning the diary in April 1880.
Campbell made varying use of the second, earlier volume (156 p.), while residing in Berkeley Springs, W.Va. The first part of the volume was used in connection with his participation in the Berkeley Springs Library and Reading Room Association of which he was one of four directors. The group's constitution, bylaws, and meeting minutes of the period December 1876 to February 1877, written in the hand of the Association secretary, are included. These are followed by Campbell's extensive reading and lecture notes on the history of Protestant churches. His orderly arrangement contains sections such as "New School Schism," "Ecclesiology," and "The Church External and Internal." Campbell next included lecture notes on "Prophecy" and the New Testament books of Hebrews, Timothy, and Titus. Fourteen pages of undated diary entries follow. Miscellaneous notes also appear in the final pages and inside back cover of the manuscript.Back to Top