This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held in the Wilson Library at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in our reading room, and not digitally available through the World Wide Web. See the Duplication Policy section for more information.
|Size||1.0 feet of linear shelf space (approximately 400 items)|
|Abstract||The Willa Cofield Brick School Collection, 1895-1990s, documents the history of the Joseph Keasbey Brick Agricultural, Domestic, and Normal School (later renamed Brick Junior College), a traditional and trade school for African American students founded by the American Missionary Association near Enfield, Edgecombe County, N.C. Included are lists of students, images of students and buildings, printed materials, published and unpublished histories of the school, interviews with alumni and their children about daily life at school, and other materials that relate to Cofield's Brick School history project.|
|Curatorial Unit||University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Library. Southern Historical Collection.|
Processed by: Nancy Kaiser and Biff Hollingsworth, October 2017
Encoded by: Nancy Kaiser, October 2017Back to Top
The following terms from Library of Congress Subject Headings suggest topics, persons, geography, etc. interspersed through the entire collection; the terms do not usually represent discrete and easily identifiable portions of the collection--such as folders or items.
Clicking on a subject heading below will take you into the University Library's online catalog.
The Brick School, also known as the Joseph Keasbey Brick Agricultural, Domestic, and Normal School and later as Brick Junior College, was founded in 1895 by the American Missionary Association (AMA) near Enfield in Edgecombe County, N.C. Mrs.(Julia) Joseph Keasbey Brewster Brick of Brooklyn, N.Y., donated 1,129 acres of farm land to build the school, which was just one of many the AMA started for African American children and teachers during the last half of the 19th century.
Thomas Sewell Inborden, the first principal, instituted a holistic educational program that developed students' abilities in the traditional liberal arts as well as trades, such as carpentry, agriculture, and domestic science. Brick School also was a working farm and students were required to contribute to the care of crops and livestock, the dining hall, and laundry; some worked extra hours to reduce their tuition.
The Brick School opened as a primary school with one student on the first day. By the end of the school year it had enrolled 54 boarding and day students. Brick School later developed a program for high school and in 1926 became a junior college. The highest enrollment for any one year was 460 students, over half of whom were boarders in dormitories. Many graduates went on to attend other AMA schools, including Howard University, Fisk University, and Oberlin College and became teachers, physicians, and farmers.
The Great Depression reduced financial donations and made it more difficult for students to pay tuition, requiring the school to close in 1933. The land and two extant buildings are now part of the Franklinton Center at Bricks.Back to Top
The Willa Cofield Brick School Collection, 1895-1990s, contains papers, photographs, and audiovisual materials documenting the history of the Joseph Keasbey Brick Agricultural, Domestic, and Normal School, later renamed Brick Junior College, founded by the American Missionary Association near Enfield in Edgecombe County, N.C. The Brick School educated African American students in both traditional liberal arts and trade curriculums. Included are lists of students; images of students and buildings; printed materials; published and unpublished histories of the school, including Willa Cofield's "A Guide to Teaching the History of Brick School" and a history written by the school's first principal, Thomas S. Inborden; interviews with alumni and their children about daily life at school; and other materials that relate to Cofield's Brick School history project.Back to Top
Photographs have been removed and filed in folders with the same title.
|Image Box 1|
Mrs. Alice Jennings Archibald, New Brunswick, N.J., 16 June 1992 (?)/ Work of the AMA, read by W. Cofield, T. S. Inborden (?), Interview of Dorothy Miller
Alice Jennings Archibald taught at Brick Junior College
1. Brick students, two ladies outside interview continued; 2. Brick student with sunglasses inside interview; 3. Virginia Wills dinnertime; 4. V. Wills with pictures.
1. Inborden students interviews continued; 2. Inborden students look at exhibit; 3. Mae Cofield interview; 4. Julia Exum interview.
Behind the Veil is a 3-part series. The third one has Brick School featured in it.