This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held in the Wilson Library at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in our reading room, and not digitally available through the World Wide Web. See the Duplication Policy section for more information.
|Abstract||Established in 1919, the university's School of Commerce combined a liberal arts education with practical training in business principles. It offered both the bachelor of science and master of science degrees in commerce. Dudley DeWitt Carroll was dean of the school from its founding until 1950. In 1950 the school's name changed to School of Business Administration and, in 1988, to the UNC Business School at Chapel Hill. In 1991 it was renamed the Kenan-Flagler Business School. Records include the minutes of the school's Administrative Board from its initial meeting in 1920 through 1929. Minutes mainly concern course requirements and student petitions. Also included is one letter, dated 2 May 1928, from the secretary of the Administrative Board to the of the Department of Psychology concerning the psychology requirement for commerce students.|
|Creator||University of North Carolina (1793-1962). School of Commerce.|
|Curatorial Unit||University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Library. University Archives.|
The following terms from Library of Congress Subject Headings suggest topics, persons, geography, etc. interspersed through the entire collection; the terms do not usually represent discrete and easily identifiable portions of the collection--such as folders or items.
Clicking on a subject heading below will take you into the University Library's online catalog.
The university's Board of Trustees authorized the establishment of the School of Commerce during the summer of 1919. Developing instruction in commerce and industry had been a key interest of University President Edward Kidder Graham, who had died the previous winter. Graham had been conscious of the rapid transformation taking place in North Carolina's economic and industrial life. Essential to the state's economic advancement, according to Graham, was a more scientific direction in the way its industries governed themselves. The school was conceived to serve the business life of North Carolina by providing the foundation for the sound training of future business leaders in the science of industrial administration and management.
Combining a liberal arts education with practical training in business principles, the School of Commerce began operation in September 1919 with an enrollment of 125 students. In 1923 the school was admitted to membership in the American Association of Collegiate Schools of Business, an organization dedicated to the promotion of high standards in professional education for business. As the school increased in prominence and popularity, so did enrollment. Originally housed in Alumni Hall, it moved to the second floor of Saunders Hall in 1922. Soon it overflowed into the first floor, and in 1929 it moved to its first new building, Bingham Hall. By 1953 the school had moved into a three-building court (Carroll, Hanes, Gardner). In 1997 it moved to its current home in the McColl Building.
In 1950 the name of the School of Commerce was changed to the School of Business Administration and, in 1988, to the UNC Business School at Chapel Hill. In 1991 the school was renamed the Kenan-Flagler Business School to honor the past generosity to the university of philanthropist Mary Lily Kenan Flagler and her husband, Henry Morrison Flagler, and in recognition of a generous gift to the school from Frank Hawkins Kenan.
Following is a list of those who have served as dean of the school.
|1919-1950||Dudley DeWitt Carroll|
|1950-1954||Thomas Henry Carroll|
|1954||Arch Richard Dooley|
|1954-1956||Richard Junius Mendenhall Hobbs|
|1956-1976||Maurice Wentworth Lee|
|1976-1978||Harvey M. Wagner|
|1978-1987||John Parkhill Evans|
|1987-1992||Paul J. Rizzo|
|1992-1993||Carl Zeithaml, Interim|
|1994-September 1997||Paul Fulton|
|September-December 1997||John Parkhill Evans, Interim|
|1998-2003||Robert S. Sullivan|
|2003-2008||W. S. (Steve) Jones|
|2008-||James W. Dean, Jr.|
Records include the minutes of the School of Commerce Administrative Board from its initial meeting in 1920 through 1929. Minutes mainly concern course requirements and student petitions. Also included is one letter, dated 2 May 1928, from the secretary of the Administrative Board to the of the Department of Psychology concerning the psychology requirement for commerce students.Back to Top
Records of the School of Commerce currently held by the University Archives include minutes and correspondence of the school's Administrative Board for the period 1920-1929. The latter are contained in one manuscript volume and one folder.