This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held in the Wilson Library at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in our reading room, and not digitally available through the World Wide Web. See the Duplication Policy section for more information.
|Size||1.5 feet of linear shelf space (approximately 1500 items)|
|Abstract||The Library's photoduplication program began in 1938, when a microfilm camera was purchased for filming legislative journals in the Documents Department. The volume of filming increased rapidly, and more equipment was purchased. By 1952 the Photoduplication Service was established as a separate unit in the Library; its name soon changed to Photographic Services. In 1982 Photographic Services was reorganized and placed under the direction of the North Carolina Collection. Correspondence, financial and equipment records, and other files relaitng to the administration and work of the Library Photographic Services.|
|Creator||University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Library. Photographic Services.|
The following terms from Library of Congress Subject Headings suggest topics, persons, geography, etc. interspersed through the entire collection; the terms do not usually represent discrete and easily identifiable portions of the collection--such as folders or items.
Clicking on a subject heading below will take you into the University Library's online catalog.
These and related materials may be found under the following headings in online catalogs.
The Library's photoduplication service originated in January 1938, when a photorecord portable microfilm camera was acquired. The camera, set up in a small closet, was used to copy legislative journals. The Librarian's annual report for 1938-1939 noted the creation of a Microphotography Division under the supervision of the Documents Department. By 1945, the workload of the microfilming operation had increased to the point that a separate Photographic Trust Fund was established. In June 1952, Samuel M. Boone was appointed head of a separate Photoduplication Service; its name soon changed to Photographic Services.
Under Mr. Boone's leadership, Photographic Services gradually expanded its capabilities. Eventually, in addition to negative microfilm production, it performed still photography, positive microfilm printing, xerographic copying, and copyflo duplication for the University Library and other North Carolina libraries. In 1982 Photographic Services was reorganized and placed under the supervision of the North Carolina Collection. Jerry W. Cotten, the Collection's Photographic Archivist, then became head of it.Back to Top
The archival records of the Photographic Services, contained in a single box, include administrative memoranda and correspondence, equipment records, financial records, files on photocopying and copyright policies, and materials related to special microfilming projects.Back to Top
Processed by: University Archives Staff
Encoded by: ByteManagers Inc., 2008Back to Top