This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held in the Wilson Library at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in our reading room, and not digitally available through the World Wide Web. See the Duplication Policy section for more information.
|Size||3.0 feet of linear shelf space (approximately 500 items)|
|Abstract||The University Research Council was created in 1945 to promote and supervise research by the university's faculty. Originally the council was also charged with pursuing government and foundation support for research. In 1957, however, the University Development Program assumed responsibility for the latter; and in 1965, the creation of the Office of Research Administration further limited the functions of the council. As of 1983, the University Research Council administered four funds from which it made small grants to faculty members. These funds were the Alumni Faculty Research Fund, which is allocated by the Development Office; the Faculty Research Fund, which comes from state appropriations; the Smith Research Fund, established in 1924 from the bequest of Robert K. Smith; and the Pogue Endowment Faculty Research Fund. Records include minutes of the University Research Council, 1945-1974, and thirteen bound volumes containing accounts of grants made from the funds administered by the Council. Pre-1945 material consists of accounts of the Smith Research Fund.|
|Creator||University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Research Council.|
The following terms from Library of Congress Subject Headings suggest topics, persons, geography, etc. interspersed through the entire collection; the terms do not usually represent discrete and easily identifiable portions of the collection--such as folders or items.
Clicking on a subject heading below will take you into the University Library's online catalog.
The University Research Council was first appointed by Chancellor Robert B. House on 25 April 1945 to promote and supervise faculty research. The council was also to pursue government and foundation funds for the support of university research. In 1957, the University Development Program assumed the latter function; and in 1965, the creation of the Office of Research Administration (later the Office of Research Services) further limited the responsibility of the University Research Council.
The council evaluated faculty members' applications for funding and made grants that were usually two years in term and small compared to other grants. Its funding sources included (1) the Smith Fund, created in 1924 from the Robert K. Smith bequest; (2) the Alumni Faculty Research Fund, allocated from the University Development Program; (3) the Faculty Research Fund, supported by state appropriations; and (4) the Pogue Endowment Faculty Research Fund. As of 1996, the council reported to the Office of Research Services.Back to Top
Records include minutes of the University Research Council, 1945-1974, and thirteen bound volumes containing accounts of grants made from the funds administered by the Council. Pre-1945 material consists of accounts of the Smith Research Fund. Accounts are listed chronologically, but each volume is indexed by name of faculty member.Back to Top
Processed by: University Archives Staff
Encoded by: ByteManagers Inc., 2008Back to Top