This collection has access restrictions. For details, please see the restrictions.
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held in the Wilson Library at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in our reading room, and not digitally available through the World Wide Web. See the Duplication Policy section for more information.
|Size||3.0 feet of linear shelf space (approximately 65 items)|
|Abstract||The position of registrar was officially established in 1886 to handle student admissions and grade records. In 1930, the title of the position became dean of admissions and registrar. In 1942, it became registrar and examiner; the registrar at that time had administrative authority over the Central Office of Records and the newly created Office of Admissions. In 1947, the registrar's position was eliminated, and the directors of the Central Office of Records and the Office of Admissions were placed directly under the chancellor. In 1954, the Central Office of Records was placed within the new Division of Student Affairs; in 1961, it was reorganized and named Office of Records and Registration. Finally, in 1969, the Office of the Registrar and Director of Institutional Research was established and given authority over the Office of Records and Registration. The Office of the Registrar and Director of Institutional Research was eliminated in 1984. The current positions of registrar and director of institutional research, because of much administrative reorganization, are not true successors to the previous office. Records include annual and other reports of the Office of the Registrar and Director of Instiutional Research, 1967-1983; annual reports of the Office of Records and Registration, 1955-1975; annual reports of the Student Aid Office, 1951-1974; and annual reports of the Office of Undergraduate Admissions, 1931-1971.|
|Creator||University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Office of the Registrar and Director of Institutional Research.|
The following terms from Library of Congress Subject Headings suggest topics, persons, geography, etc. interspersed through the entire collection; the terms do not usually represent discrete and easily identifiable portions of the collection--such as folders or items.
Clicking on a subject heading below will take you into the University Library's online catalog.
On 26 January 1886, the university's Board of Trustees created the position of registrar to maintain records of student admissions and grades. At first, the responsibilities of the position were simply added to those of the secretary of the faculty. Joshua Walker Gore was the first to hold the combined office. Until 1916, the Office of Registrar remained much the same, with Eugene Lewis Harris replacing Gore in 1894, Charles Woollen replacing Harris in 1902, and Thomas James Wilson succeeding Woollen in 1908. Under Woollen, the keeping of academic records was formalized on what have come to be known as permanent record cards, and the office began to be seen as more an administrative than a faculty responsibility. By January 1916, Thomas J. Wilson was released from other duties and became the first full-time registrar, and in 1923, George Kenneth Grant Henry was appointed assistant registrar. In 1930, the responsibilities for admissions and academic records were divided between Henry and Ben Husbands as assistant registrars reporting to Wilson as dean of admissions and registrar.
The Central Office of Records was established in 1938 with Issac Cebern Griffin as director, reporting to Wilson. In 1942, Ben Husbands succeeded Wilson as registrar, and the division offunctions under him was further formalized by the creation of the Office of Admissions with Lee Roy Armstrong as director. The following year, Husbands was replaced by William Howard Plemmons. Following Plemmons's retirement in 1947, the title of registrar was abandoned, and the directors of the Central Records Office and the Admissions Office reported directly to the Chancellor.
In 1954, the Cresap, McCormick and Paget management study resulted in a reorganization of the university's administrative structure, and the Central Records Office was placed in the new Division of Student Affairs. In 1961, Raymond E. Strong became director of a reorganized Office of Records and Registration. Following J. Carlyle Sitterson's appointment as chancellor, the office was placed in the Division of Academic Affairs reporting to the provost.
In July 1969, the Office of the Registrar and Director of Institutional Research was established with James R. Gaskin as its head, and the Office of Records and Registration was placed under it. A year later, the new Division of Administration was created, and the registrar and director of institutional research began reporting to the new vice chancellor for administration. In July 1971, Lillian Y. Lehman replaced Gaskin as registrar and director of institutional research. On 1 July 1980, the Division of Administration was renamed Division of University Affairs.Back to Top
Records include annual and other reports of the Office of the Registrar and Director of Instiutional Research, 1967-1983; annual reports of the Office of Records and Registration, 1955-1975; annual reports of the Student Aid Office, 1951-1974; and annual reports of the Office of Undergraduate Admissions, 1931-1971.Back to Top
The reports in this series were compiled for the national Higher Education General Information Survey (HEGIS); the North Carolina Higher Education Data (NCHED) collection; the Office for Civil Rights (OCR) of the United States Department of Health, Education and Welfare; and the American Association of University Professors (AAUP).
The Office of Records and Registration was formerly the Central Office of Records, 1938-1961.
The Office of Undergraduate Admissions was previously the Office of Admissions, 1959-1970; it was renamed Office of Undergraduate Admissions in 1970.
Processed by: University Archives Staff, July 1972 and March 1988
Encoded by: ByteManagers Inc., 2008Back to Top