This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held in the Wilson Library at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in our reading room, and not digitally available through the World Wide Web. See the Duplication Policy section for more information.
|Size||1.5 feet of linear shelf space (approximately 800 items)|
|Abstract||The Alpha Lambda Chapter of Delta Sigma Pi, an international fraternity of business administration students, was chartered at the University of North Carolina in 1925. Records include the constitution, bylaws, incorporation charters, correspondence, minutes of meetings, membership records, and a few other records of the Alpha Lambda Chapter of Delta Sigma Pi.|
|Creator||Delta Sigma Pi. Alpha Lambda Chapter (University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill)|
|Curatorial Unit||University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Library. University Archives.|
The following terms from Library of Congress Subject Headings suggest topics, persons, geography, etc. interspersed through the entire collection; the terms do not usually represent discrete and easily identifiable portions of the collection--such as folders or items.
Clicking on a subject heading below will take you into the University Library's online catalog.
The Alpha Lambda Chapter of Delta Sigma Pi, an international fraternity of business administration students, was chartered at the University of North Carolina in 1925. On 9 May of that year, the first chapter meeting was held and 36 members were initiated. The goals of the fraternity were to foster scholarship and professional knowledge in undergraduate business administration majors through a professional program including visiting speakers, forums, tours, and the operation of each chapter as a model business. The fraternity's national headquarters, called the Central Office, provided general supervision of and advice on chapter operations and activities, ranked chapters on efficiency, conducted an alumni program, held the fraternity's annual convention, and produced publications for chapter officers and members.
The Alpha Lambda Chapter's first twenty years were difficult ones. The combined effects of the Depression and World War II led to a decline in membership, and the chapter was placed on inactive status from 1935 to 1938. With the end of the war and the arrival of older students, its membership and activities again increased. In the late 1940s, the chapter acquired a house, and an expanded social program stimulated further membership growth. By the mid-1950s, an expanded professional program had been developed.
During the 1960s, however, the chapter's activities became increasingly social, and the Central Office applied pressure for a return to emphasis on professional development. By the 1969-1970 year, this conflict had deepened; and, in May 1970, all but one of the chapter's members voted for disaffiliation from Delta Sigma Pi and for formation of a new social fraternity, Delta Tau Delta.
With the aid of the School of Business Administration faculty and chapter alumni, the Alpha Lambda Chapter was rechartered by Delta Sigma Pi early in 1971, and a reorganization meeting was held on 14 February of that year. A new constitution and bylaws were adopted insuring adherence to the professional orientation of the fraternity. The chapter has continued its adherence to the goals of Delta Sigma Pi and remains closely affiliated with the Kenan Flagler Business School.Back to Top
Constitution, bylaws, incorporation charters, correspondence, minutes of meetings, membership records, and a few other records of the Alpha Lambda chapter of Delta Sigma Pi.Back to Top
Processed by: University Archives Staff
Encoded by: ByteManagers Inc., 2008Back to Top