This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held in the Wilson Library at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in our reading room, and not digitally available through the World Wide Web. See the Duplication Policy section for more information.
|Abstract||The University Magazine was established in 1844 as a monthly literary journal and was published off and on under various names during the 19th century and from 1897 until 1948. For the period covered by these records, the publication was called North Carolina University Magazine. This publication was succeeded in 1948 by the Carolina Quarterly. Records are chiefly financial and include subscription lists maintained by the student treasurer, 1859-1860, and by the faculty adviser, Collier Cobb, 1892-1895 and 1897.|
|Creator||North Carolina University magazine.|
|Curatorial Unit||University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Library. University Archives.|
The following terms from Library of Congress Subject Headings suggest topics, persons, geography, etc. interspersed through the entire collection; the terms do not usually represent discrete and easily identifiable portions of the collection--such as folders or items.
Clicking on a subject heading below will take you into the University Library's online catalog.
Established as a senior class project in 1844, the University Magazine was a monthly literary journal. The project was not successful and lasted only one year (twelve numbers). In late 1851, an effort was mounted to revive the periodical, and in February 1852, the first number appeared. The "new" University Magazine was characterized by articles of solid historical and biographical worth. However, due to the effects of the Civil War, it was discontinued in June 1861. Following the end of Reconstruction and the reopening of the university, an effort to resume publication ended in failure after several numbers in 1878. In 1882, with the aid of the university administration, the University Magazine resumed publication under the auspices of the Dialectic and Philanthropic societies with the supervision of a faculty advisor.
After two years under the name University Monthly, the title reverted to the original University Magazine. In 1895 publication was suspended by President Winston, who argued that the campus received little return for its monetary support. Two years later, the University Magazine resumed publication. In 1919 the publication was named The Magazine-UNC and, in 1920, the Carolina Magazine.
The financial condition of the publication during the 20th century varied widely due to fluctuations in subscription levels. In 1948 rising publication costs coupled with declining subscription and advertising revenues brought an end to the University Magazine. Also in 1948, the Carolina Quarterly began publication.Back to Top
The records of the University Magazine, University of North Carolina, consist of two volumes of financial records that include subscription lists maintained by the student treasurer, 1859-1860, and by the faculty advisor, Collier Cobb, 1892-1895 and 1897.Back to Top
The records of the University Magazine, University of North Carolina, consist of two volumes of financial records that include subscription lists maintained by the student treasurer, 1859-1860, and by the faculty advisor, Collier Cobb, 1892-1895 and 1897.