This collection has access restrictions. For details, please see the restrictions.
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held in the Wilson Library at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in our reading room, and not digitally available through the World Wide Web. See the Duplication Policy section for more information.
|Size||12.5 feet of linear shelf space (approximately 4800 items)|
|Abstract||The University Woman's Club was established at the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill in 1949 as an outgrowth of the University Newcomer's Club. Through teas, tours, excursions, dinners, and other activities, the club sought to foster closer social ties among university faculty wives and women staff members. The Newcomer's Club had been formed in 1939 and in 1969 became a division of the University Woman's Club. The purpose of the Newcomer's Division was to assist new faculty wives and women faculty and staff in becoming acquainted with each other, with the university, and with the Chapel Hill community. In 1987 the Newcomer's Division was disbanded and replaced by the Friends' Network and the Newcomer's Events Committee. Records of the University Woman's Club include the constitution and bylaws of the club, minutes of general meetings and board meetings, records of officers and committees, scrapbooks, membership records, and publicity.|
|Creator||University Woman's Club (University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill).|
|Curatorial Unit||University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Library. University Archives.|
Processed by: University Archives Staff, July 1981, October 1981, February 1982, June 1982, August 1982, July 1984, May 1989, April 1990, November 1990, October 1995, November 1997, April 2008, May 2017, September 2017, April 2018, May 2023
Encoded by: Johanna Russ, April 2008Back to Top
The following terms from Library of Congress Subject Headings suggest topics, persons, geography, etc. interspersed through the entire collection; the terms do not usually represent discrete and easily identifiable portions of the collection--such as folders or items.
Clicking on a subject heading below will take you into the University Library's online catalog.
The Newcomer's Club of the University of North Carolina was formed in 1939. The University Woman's Club was established on 26 January 1949, as an outgrowth of the University Newcomer's Club. In 1961 the Newcomer's Club became a division of the University Woman's Club. The purpose of the division was to assist new faculty wives and women faculty in becoming acquainted with each other, with the university, and with the Chapel Hill community through teas, tours, excursions, dinners, etc. The Newcomer's Division ceased to exist in 1987. In a University Woman's Club Newsletter of February 1989, Legislative Committee Chairwoman Eleanor Godfrey explained the change as follows:
"Two years ago, the Board of the University Woman's Club decided to try a new method of welcoming newcomers, which involved abolishing the Newcomer's Division as a separate entity and incorporating all newcomer's structure and activity into the main body of the club. At the April 1987 meeting, the membership approved deleting sections and phrases of the By-laws which referred to the Newcomer's Division."
"Two new standing committees replaced the abolished division: the Friends Network, a group of departmental representatives responsible for identifying and welcoming newcomers to the University Woman's Club; and the Newcomer's Events Committee, which coordinated programs designed to introduce new and prospective members to the University and to Chapel Hill. Put in practice between 1987 and 1988, these modifications were added to the By-laws of the University Woman's Club and approved by the membership on 12 April 1989."
In the spring of 1990, the club appointed a committee to review membership criteria, which had previously included only EPA employees or their wives. Following the recommendations of the committee, the club began extending invitation to membership to all permanent employees or their wives.Back to Top
Series 1 of these records encompasses the University Woman's Club proper. This series includes information on various committees, meeting miuntes, membership directories, newsletters, president's books, constitutions and bylaws, information on club events, publicity, club publications, and scrapbooks. Some duplication of material exists among the folders and the president's books, but the president's books offer comprehensive coverage of a given president's term. Some photographs are included in the Program Committee files and in the president's books, but a significant number of photographs are also stored separately.
Series 2 of the records encompasses the Newcomer's Division. This series includes the division's constitution and bylaws, committee information, correspondence, programming, membership, publicity, publications, and scrapbooks.
Series 3 contains additions to the collection.Back to Top
(includes Membership Policy Review Committee, 1990)
(including General Meetings)
(including General Meetings)
(shelved separately under P-40205; some negatives included)
(kept by club presidents; include newsletters, meeting minutes, correspondence, treasurer's reports, publicity, and information about programs; some materials are duplicated in other files)
This addition consists of records of the University Woman's Club including handbooks, meeting minutes, reports, photographs, and correspondence of UWC leaders.
Donated by Myrna Bower (RT 20170531.1).
Includes RT 20171018.1.
Correspondence, meeting minutes, programs, flyers, reports, and photographs related to activities of the University Woman's Club.
Donated by Steve Young, August 2017 (RT 20170822.1).
Aquisitions Information: RT 20180426.1.
Image Folder PF-40205/1-3