Collection Number: 40264

Collection Title: School of Pharmacy of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Records, 1962-1965, 1984-1985

This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held in the Wilson Library at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in our reading room, and not digitally available through the World Wide Web. See the Duplication Policy section for more information.


expand/collapse Expand/collapse Collection Overview

Size 40 items
Abstract The University of North Carolina School of Pharmacy was established in March 1897 by an act of the University Board of Trustees. Upon its founding, the School was located in New West building and led by Dean Edward Vernon Howell. In 1912, in need of more space, the School moved to Person Hall. In 1925, the School moved into a building formerly occupied by the Department of Chemistry, which in 1931 was renamed Howell Hall. The School remained there until 1959, when a new Pharmacy building, Beard Hall, was completed. In 1997, School of Pharmacy alumnus Banks D. Kerr donated two million dollars to the School for a new facility. Kerr Hall was dedicated in 2003. The same year, another alumnus, Fred Eshelman, pledged $20 million to the school. In the following years, Eshelman committed an additional $110 million to the school. In 2008, the School was renamed the UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy in his honor. Records consist of issues of the UNC Pharmacy Student Newspaper, 1962-1965, and School of Pharmacy documents, 1984-1985.
Creator University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. School of Pharmacy.
Language English
Back to Top

expand/collapse Expand/collapse Information For Users

Restrictions to Access
No restrictions. Open for research.
Restrictions to Use
No usage restrictions.
Copyright Notice
Copyright is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Preferred Citation
[Identification of item], in the School of Pharmacy of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Records #40264, University Archives, The Wilson Library, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
Acquisitions Information
Pulled from miscellaneous materials from other accessions left by Lawrence Giffin. Its origin is undetermined. Addition received from the North Carolina Collection in March 2019 (RT 20190307.1).
Sensitive Materials Statement
Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations, the North Carolina Public Records Act (N.C.G.S. § 132 1 et seq.), and Article 7 of the North Carolina State Personnel Act (Privacy of State Employee Personnel Records, N.C.G.S. § 126-22 et seq.). Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g., a cause of action under common law for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill assumes no responsibility.
Back to Top

expand/collapse Expand/collapse Subject Headings

The following terms from Library of Congress Subject Headings suggest topics, persons, geography, etc. interspersed through the entire collection; the terms do not usually represent discrete and easily identifiable portions of the collection--such as folders or items.

Clicking on a subject heading below will take you into the University Library's online catalog.

Back to Top

expand/collapse Expand/collapse Historical Information

The University of North Carolina School of Pharmacy was established in March 1897 by an act of the University Board of Trustees. Upon its founding, the School was located in New West building and led by Dean Edward Vernon Howell. In 1912, in need of more space, the School moved to Person Hall. In 1925, the School moved into a building formerly occupied by the Department of Chemistry, which in 1931 was renamed Howell Hall. The School remained there until 1959, when a new Pharmacy building, Beard Hall, was completed. In 1997, School of Pharmacy alumnus Banks D. Kerr donated two million dollars to the School for a new facility. Kerr Hall was dedicated in 2003. The same year, another alumnus, Fred Eshelman, pledged $20 million to the school. In the following years, Eshelman committed an additional $110 million to the school. In 2008, the School was renamed the UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy in his honor.

1897-1931 Edward Vernon Howell

1931-1946 John Grover Beard

1946-1950 Marion Lee Jacobs

1950-1966 Edward Armond Brecht

1966-1974 George Philip Hager Jr.

1974-1975 Seymour Morton Blaug

1975-1977 Leroy Delbert Werley Jr. (acting)

1977-1992 Tom Saburo Miya

1992-2003 William Howard Campbell

2003- Robert Alan Blouin

Back to Top

expand/collapse Expand/collapse Scope and Content

Consists of issues of the UNC Pharmacy Student Newspaper, 1962-1965, and School of Pharmacy documents, 1984-1985.

Back to Top

Contents list

expand/collapse Expand/collapse School of Pharmacy of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Records, 1962-1965, 1984-1985

Back to Top

Processing Information

Processed by: Jennifer Coggins, July 2017

Encoded by: Laura Smith, July 2017

Finding updated because of addition by Jennifer Coggins and Laura Smith, April 2019.

Back to Top