This collection has access restrictions. For details, please see the restrictions.
|Size||15 feet of linear shelf space|
|Abstract||Throughout the 1920s University Librarian Louis Round Wilson advocated for a new library at the University of North Carolina, as the university’s Carnegie library (now Hill Hall) was not meeting the needs of the student body. The new library was completed in 1929. In 1952, an addition was made to building to meet the needs of the increasing need for space, and a few years later the library was named for Wilson. In 1977, a second addition was made to the Wilson Library stacks. In 1984, with the construction of the new Walter Royal Davis Library, the Wilson Library transitioned from its role as the central library and was devoted specifically to special collections. It has five collecting areas: the North Carolina Collection, the Rare Book Collection, the Southern Folklife Collection, the Southern Historical Collection, and the University Archives. The five collecting units hold rare books, organizational records, personal and family papers, photographs, moving images, sound recordings, and artifacts that document the history and culture of the University, North Carolina, the United States, and the world. The records of the library consist of annual reports for Wilson Library and its constituent departments, budget and funding files, conservation reports, project and program files including files on Aeon, encoded archival context and web harvesting, the Carolina Digital Library and Archives, the Carolina Digital Repository. Also included are committee files, materials related to grants, and architectural drawings of the library. Acquired as part of University Archives.|
|Creator||University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Louis Round Wilson Special Collections Library.|
This summary description was created by Tierra Thomas in January 2020 to provide information about unprocessed materials in Wilson Special Collections Library.
Encoded by: Laura SmithBack to Top