This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held in the Wilson Library at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in our reading room, and not digitally available through the World Wide Web. See the Duplication Policy section for more information.
|Size||24 feet of linear shelf space (approximately 18800 items)|
|Abstract||Library science was first offered in the university's summer school shortly after the turn of the century. In 1931 the School of Library Science was established to offer a baccalaureate program in librarianship. It was the second such school in the Southeast. In 1951 a master's degree program was established. In 1987 the name of the school changed to School of Information and Library Science. Records include correspondence and other files relating to the administration of and academic programs in the School of Information and Library Science. Deans of the school who are prominent in the records include Louis Round Wilson, Susan Grey Akers, Edward G. Holley, Evelyn H. Daniel, and Barbara B. Moran, Joanne Gard Marshall and Jose-Marie Griffiths.|
|Creator||University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. School of Information and Library Science.|
The following terms from Library of Congress Subject Headings suggest topics, persons, geography, etc. interspersed through the entire collection; the terms do not usually represent discrete and easily identifiable portions of the collection--such as folders or items.
Clicking on a subject heading below will take you into the University Library's online catalog.
Although Louis Round Wilson began teaching summer courses in library science at the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill in 1904, the School of Library Science did not open its doors until 17 September 1931. Its first director was Dr. Wilson, who had at that point been the university librarian for thirty years. The school was originally funded by a $100,000 Carnegie Corporation grant, and during that first fall in 1931, thirty-seven students took courses from five faculty members of the school. For many of the early years of the School of Library Science, only an undergraduate degree in Library Science was offered. Dr. Wilson carried the school through its first full accreditation by the American Library Association (ALA) in December 1934, before Dr. Susan Grey Akers took over the directorship in 1935.
Dr. Akers had earned her doctorate in library science from the University of Chicago in 1932, making her the fourth person and the second woman in the nation to receive this doctoral degree. Dr. Akers served as the school's director for seven years before her title changed to dean in 1942. Upon the acquisition of this new title, Dr. Akers became the first woman to hold an academic deanship at the University of North Carolina. Under Dr. Akers's leadership, the bachelor of arts degree that was offered by the school became a bachelor of science degree in library science in 1941.
In March 1951, the university approved the creation of the master of science in library science program, and the first MSLS degrees were awarded in 1953. In 1955 the bachelor of science program was abolished. In September 1970, the School moved to Manning Hall; and in November 1972, the first issue of the School of Library Science newsletter, News from Chapel Hill, was published. In 1980 the first Ph.D. from the School of Library Science was awarded to JoAnn Hardison Bell. In 1987 the faculty of the school voted to include "information science" in the school's name, and in 1988 the name officially became School of Information and Library Science (SILS). The information and library science program continued to expand its degree offerings and began offering an undergraduate minor in information systems in 1997.
SILS had always held high rankings in most academic evaluations; but in 1999, U.S. News and World Report selected it as the top program in the country, a ranking the school has held more often than not since that year. In 2001 the first dual-degree programs were announced, a master's program with the Kenan-Flagler Business School and another with the School of Public Health. In 2003 the bachelor of science degree was revived, and the first two certificate programs were initiated.
Since its creation in 1931, the School of Information and Library Science has graduated more than 4,000 librarians who have gone on to serve in library capacities throughout the world. The goal of the school continues to be "to conduct inquiry devoted to information generation and use to prepare reflective, adaptive information professionals for action in the present and the future, and to transfer to them an uncompromising advocacy for knowledge" (from its mission statement).
Individuals who have served as directors and deans of the school are listed below.
|1931-1932||Louis Round Wilson|
|1932-1935||Susan Grey Akers, Acting Director|
|1935-1942||Susan Grey Akers|
|1942-1954||Susan Grey Akers|
|1954-1960||Lucile Kelling Henderson|
|1960-1964||Carlyle J. Frarey, Acting Dean|
|1964-1967||Margaret E. Kalp, Acting Dean|
|1967-1970||Walter A. Sedelow, Jr.|
|1970-1971||Raymond L. Carpenter, Jr., Acting Dean|
|1972-1985||Edward G. Holley|
|1985-1990||Evelyn H. Daniel|
|1990-1998||Barbara B. Moran|
|1999-2004||Joanne Gard Marshall|
Records include correspondence and other files relating to the administration of and academic programs in the School of Information and Library Science. Deans of the school who are prominent in the records include Louis Round Wilson, Susan Grey Akers, Edward G. Holley, Evelyn H. Daniel, and Barbara B. Moran, Joanne Gard Marshall and Jose-Marie Griffiths.Back to Top
Series 1 includes general administrative files, including annual reports, accreditation information, events planning documents, curriculum planning documents, and other information related to the general operations of the school.
Curriculum: Alumni Suggestions for a New Curriculum, Questionnaires, 1979 #40044, Series: "1. General Files, 1924-1993." Box 1:4
(alphabetized by respondent's name)
(includes historical overviews of the school)
|Image Folder PF-40044/1||
Fiftieth Anniversary: Photographs, 1935-1936; 1981 #40044, Series: "1. General Files, 1924-1993." PF-40044/1
Photographs, including some taken in 1935-1936, that show the school's facilities and some of its students and faculty at that time; these were sent to Dean Holley by Mary Elizabeth Poole for use in the anniversary celebration.
Publications and Publicity: The Galley, 1972-1990 #40044, Series: "1. General Files, 1924-1993." Box 1:10
Publications and Publicity: News from Chapel Hill: Scattered Issues, Nos. 8-25, 1975-1981 #40044, Series: "1. General Files, 1924-1993." Box 1:10
Image Folder PF-40044/2-6
Publications and Publicity: News from Chapel Hill: Photographs, 1976-1979 #40044, Series: "1. General Files, 1924-1993." PF-40044/2-6
Photographs used as illustrations in newsletter.
Image Folder PF-40044/7-11
Publications and Publicity: Photographs, Miscellaneous, 1976-1979 #40044, Series: "1. General Files, 1924-1993." PF-40044/7-11
Photographs of SILS people and events, probably used in publicity.
Oversize Volume SV-40044/1-2
Publications and Publicity: "Publicity Record of the University of North Carolina School of Library Science," 1931-1966 #40044, Series: "1. General Files, 1924-1993." SV-40044/1-2
Scrapbooks containing newspaper clippings, photographs, and other items related to the school and its graduates.
|Extra Oversize Paper Folder XOPF-40044/1|
This series consists of files related to the work of various committees of the School of Information and Library Science.
This series consists of files on organizations, associations, foundations, government agencies, and other libraries and universities that are not administratively part of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
Administrative records related to ALA accreditation, the SILS 75th anniversary, the SILS Board of Visitors and Administrative Advisory Board, teaching awards, internal committees, lectures, and other events.
Accession information: Transferred in August 2016 (RT 20160829.1).
Processed by: University Archives Staff, January 1988, May 1992, May 2008; Jennifer Coggins, September 2016
Encoded by: Heather Wilson, May 2008
Updated by: Nancy Kaiser, October 2020Back to Top