This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held in the Wilson Library at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in our reading room, and not digitally available through the World Wide Web. See the Duplication Policy section for more information.
|1.5 feet of linear shelf space (approximately 300 items)
|The Department of Biostatistics is an academic department of the School of Public Health at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. It was founded in 1949 to provide statistical training in the areas of medicine and public health. It offers both graduate and undergraduate degress, and, in addition, provides statistical and data management services to cooperative studies. Annual reports, catalog descriptions, faculty meeting minutes, and other files relating to the Department of Biostatistics.
|University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Dept. of Biostatistics.
|University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Library. University Archives.
Processed by: University Archives Staff
Encoded by: ByteManagers Inc., 2008Back to Top
The following terms from Library of Congress Subject Headings suggest topics, persons, geography, etc. interspersed through the entire collection; the terms do not usually represent discrete and easily identifiable portions of the collection--such as folders or items.
Clicking on a subject heading below will take you into the University Library's online catalog.
The Department of Biostatistics is an academic department of the School of Public Health at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. It was founded in 1949 to provide statistical training, consultation, and research directed to the needs of medicine and public health. In 1953, the department established programs of instruction leading to the M.S.P.H. and Ph.D. degrees in biostatistics. The graduate curriculum was subsequently enlarged to include concentrations in genetics (1965, Ph.D. level), demography and population studies (1965, M.S.P.H. and PhD. levels), health services (1970, Ph.D. level), environmental biostatistics (1970, Ph.D. level), and biostatistical methods in mental health (1967, Ph.D. level). Specializations in cardiovascular diseases and data management were added later.
Professional training at the undergraduate level began in the fall of 1976 with the institution of the B.S.P.H. degree in biostatistics. Meanwhile, the graduate curriculum was restructured, allowing students either to choose the M.P.H. and Dr.P.H. programs, which focused on biostatistical applications in public health, or to opt for a more theoretical, research-oriented course of study leading to the M.S. and Ph.D. degrees. The M.S.P.H. program, which covered both theory and practice, was discontinued in the early 1980s.
Since the department's inception, its members have undertaken extensive research in the various fields listed above and have served frequently as consultants to researchers in other disciplines. The department also has a long record of providing statistical and data management services to cooperative studies, dating back to the cancer chemotherapy trials of the late 1950s and before. Beginning in 1971, it served as central patient registry and statistical analysis center for the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute's Lipid Research Clinics Program, an international cooperative study of the relationship between lipids and cardiovascular disease. In 1983, it was designated as a World Health Organization Collaborating Center for Noncommunicable Disease Prevention and Control.
Individuals who have chaired the Department of Biostatistics are listed below.
|Bernard G. Greenberg
|James E. Grizzle
|Barry H. Margolin
|Clarence E. Davis, Interim
|Clarence E. Davis
|Jianwen Cai, Interim
|Michael R. Kosorok
The records in this group contain information on personnel, research, instruction, and administration in the Department of Biostatistics from its inception in 1949 to January of 1974. The annual reports provide succinct lists of faculty members, grants, enrollment, service and research projects, physical facilities, and publications beginning with the 1956-1957 academic year. Notes and memoranda for the School of Public Health catalogs document changes in personnel, course offerings, and curricula, while the faculty meeting minutes detail decisions on departmental activities and operations starting in the fall of 1964. The remaining files contain correspondence regarding the funding of interinstitutional travel by students and the creation of a Foundation for the School of Public Health during Bernard Greenberg's tenure as department chairman.Back to Top