A

The Albertype Co., headquartered in Brooklyn, N.Y., produced postcards and other printed materials from 1890 until 1952. The company utilized a specific photomechanical processes process invented by Joseph Albert in Australia in the late 1860s, which was an improvement on the collotype photographic process. The company had teams of photographers who traveled across the United States taking and buying images depicting people, places, and activities in all parts of the country. A majority of the images were published as postcards and marketed to be sold in the locales depicted in the images.
Collection consists of the 60 photographic prints used to produce Sodom Laurel Album (2002). Sodom Laurel Album, chronicles Dellie Norton and her family 1975-1994, who lived in the small mountain community of Sodom Laurel, located in Surry County, N.C. The collection also contains a copy of Sodom Laurel Album (2002).
Ambrotypes were in production from the early 1850s into the early 1880s. This photographic format replaced earlier methods and quickly became extremely popular due to the lowered cost of processing, relative ease of development, and the superior images produced by the process. The resulting images were encased and had a reputation for being more durable than previous formats.
Between 1984 and 1987, celebrations were held in North Carolina and England to commemorate the 400th anniversary of English colonists settling in America.
American novelist Thomas Clayton Wolfe (3 October 1900-15 September 1938) was born in Asheville, N.C., and attended the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill, N.C., from fall 1916 until his graduation in spring 1920. He died in Baltimore, Md., at age thirty-seven of tuberculosis of the brain.

B

Elizabeth Tannahill Bain (1893-1967?) lived at Chapel Hill, N.C., and Virginia Beach, Va. She was the daughter of Charles Wesley Bain (1864-1915), professor of Greek and Latin at the University of North Carolina, and Isabel Plummer Bain, a native of Petersburg, Va. As an adult, Bain served as department secretary to the Department of Romance Languages at the University of North Carolina.
M. Durwood Barbour, a member of the 1952 class of the University of North Carolina and a resident of Raleigh, N.C., became interested in picture postcards as an offshoot from his hobby of collecting North Carolina bank notes and his appreciation for early photographic images of the state. Over the course of twenty-four years Barbour accumulated a collection of over 7,800 picture postcards.
The Billy E. Barnes Photographic Collection contains approximately 80,000 images taken during Billy Barnes's career from 1959 to 1996. The majority of the images are black-and-white 35mm negatives, photographic prints, and 35mm transparencies (slides). Images were taken across the state of North Carolina and depict poverty in both rural and urban areas, racial tension, experiments in integrated education, poverty prevention/alleviation programs, and the social/political changes that occurred in the state during this span of almost four decades. A large portion of the collection documents the activities of the North Carolina Fund (1963-1968) as well as related organizations and programs that outlasted the Fund project. Images were taken across the entire state, but with a concentration in Durham and Orange County. There are also some images of locations outside North Carolina. Barnes's original descriptions are used when available (from personal photographic log) and, whenever possible, individuals, organizations, events, locations, and dates have been identified. Known groups, organizations, and individuals are listed as subject access points, as are identified locations.
Kemp Plummer Battle (1831-1919) served as North Carolina State Treasurer from 1866 to 1868 and as president of the University of North Carolina from 1876 to 1891. Battle graduated from the University in 1849 as the valedictorian of his class and went on to work as a lawyer and bank director. In 1861, he was a delegate to the Secession Convention, and served during the Civil War as president of the Chatham Railroad. In 1862, Battle was elected trustee of the University; he was elected Treasurer by the legislature in 1866 but removed from office in 1868 because of his service to the Confederacy. He was named president of the University of North Carolina in 1876 and resigned in 1891 to become Alumni Professor of History. Battle compiled a significant body of scholarly work, the most significant being his two-volume History of the University of North Carolina.
John Cartwright Bell, Jr. was born in Windsor, N.C. around 1915.
Samuel Moyle Boone (1919-2008), native of Gates County, N.C., and son of William Jordan and Minnie Belle Williams Boone, received his A.B. degree in 1949 and his Masters of Library Science in 1964 from the University of North Carolina. Boone served as a member of the staff of the Academic Affairs Library (now the University Library) at the University of North Carolina for 30 years. He was appointed head of Photoduplication Services in 1952, in which role he is credited with building the Library's microfilm collection. Also a photographer, Boone shot local events, portraits, campus scenes, and scenic views, and photographed for the Alumni Review during the 1950s.
The original owner of the collection was John Archibald Brady of Statesville, N.C.
Ignatius Watsworth Brock (1866-1950), known as Nace, was a professional photographer based primarily in New Bern and Asheville, N.C. Brock studied photography and served as an apprentice in the studio of Edward Gerock in New Bern. In 1897 Brock moved to Asheville, where he ran Brock's Photo Art Studio for more than forty years and lived until his death in 1950. Brock was an active painter and wrote poetry throughout his life.
Paul Buchanan was born around 1910 and lived at Hawk in Mitchell County, N.C. He learned photography from his father, Lafayette Fate Buchanan, who engaged in the business on a part-time basis. In the 1920s, Paul Buchanan started working in the medium professionally and often traveled in the mountain counties of Mitchell, Yancey, Avery, and McDowell in search of subjects. Paul Buchanan died in 1987.
In the summer of 1930, Lillian Alexander Burch was a student who participated in a study tour to the west coast of the United States sponsored by the Extension Division of the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill, N.C., 7 June-2 August 1930. Burch made the photographs in this collection and collected postcards as the tour moved across the country.

C

The original owner and possible creator of the collection was P.M. Candle, who may have worked for the United States Department of the Treasury. Candle sent the images to his wife enclosed in an envelope from the Office of the Federal Prohibition Director in Greenville, S.C. The Bureau of Prohibition, part of the Department of the Treasury, was responsible for the enforcement of the 18th Amendment to the United States Constitution, which prohibited the sale of alcohol, 1919-1933. During Prohibition, the Bureau of Prohibition regularly raided and dismantled moonshine and other liquor stills, arresting numerous people for the illegal manufacture and sale of alcohol.
Mary Grace Canfield (1864-1946) was a native of Vermont and the wife of the Reverend Harry Lee Canfield (1860-1942), a Universalist minister working in North Carolina. The Canfields came to North Carolina in the 1920s.
The collection consists of two photograph albums, a few loose photographs, and two newspaper articles relating to the activities of the Carolina Mountain Club of Asheville, N.C., in the 1930s. The first photograph album highlights outdoor activities of club members, both men and women, from December 1930 to May 1932. Nature photographer George Masa (1881-1933) was a founding member of the club and served as club photographer until his death in 1933. George Masa is believed to have taken many of the images in the first album and is also present in several of the group photographs found in the first album. The second album, circa 1937, depict views from various locations in western North Carolina.
The Carolina Trucking Development Company was based in Wilmington, N.C., in the early part of the twentieth century. The Company appears to have been primarily devoted to agricultural development and was involved with establishing farming communities in several counties in North Carolina, some of which were populated by immigrant groups, including German, Dutch, Italian, and Polish peoples.
Aros Coke Cecil (1897-1958) was born in High Point, N.C. Cecil graduated from the University of North Carolina's School of Pharmacy in 1917. While attending the University, Cecil was a member of the University of North Carolina Student Battalion, which would become the University Reserved Officer's Training Corps when the United States became involved in World War I. After serving, he returned to High Point, N.C. In 1925 he opened Cecil's Drug Store, and in 1946 he opened Cecil's Office Equipment Company. He died in 1958.
Frank Clodfelter started work for the Southern Railway in 1931 and, during his career, held a variety of posts including that of locomotive engineer. Photography was one of Clodfelter's interests, and he won several awards for his photographic work.
Collier Cobb (1862-1934) was chair of the Geology Department at the University of North Carolina, 1893-1934. His photography stemmed from his work in geology and other sciences, and he traveled extensively and used photography to document his interests. In the 1890s, Cobb built a darkroom in his Chapel Hill home, where he developed negatives and printed prints.
The Commercial Museum, located in Philadelphia, Pa., was in operation from 1897 to 2010. Modeled after the great exhibition halls of the World's Fairs (World Fair, Universal Exposition) of the late nineteenth century, the Museum offered a vast selection of displays and information related to commerce and trade in Pennsylvania, across the United Sates, and the international marketplace. The Museum maintained a large collection of photographs documenting a variety of industries, agriculture, and trade in many areas of the United States. These images were marketed for use in publications around the United States and the world.
Bruce Cotten (1873-1954) was born in Wilson, N.C., and over his lifetime became a serious collector of books and other materials related to North Carolina.
Lyman Atkinson Cotten (1909-1990) graduated from the University of North Carolina in 1936 and from Yale University in 1941. He taught English at the University of North Carolina for 34 years, retiring in 1974. Cotten was a trustee of the Order of the Gimghouls, a secret society at the University, from 1952 until his death. He was also a member of Phi Beta Kappa, the Society of the Cincinnati, and the Modern Language Association.
Paul Cuadros was born in Ann Arbor, Mich., the third son of parents who immigrated from Peru. He attended the University of Michigan and Northwestern University's Medill School of Journalism and focused his career in journalism on writing and reporting on issues of race and poverty. In 1999, he was awarded an Alicia Patterson Foundation Fellowship to write and report on the impact of emerging Latino communities on the rural South. This resulted in the book A Home on the Field: How One Championship Team Inspires Hope for the Revival of Small Town America (2006).

D

Daguerreotypes were in production from the late 1830s into the early 1860s. This photographic format is considered to be the first method that resulted in images that could be made widely available to the public due to the relative simplicity of the process and high quality of the images produced. The resulting images were typically encased and brought photography into the general public marketplace.
Frank A. Daniels (Frank Arthur Daniels Jr., born 1931) of Raleigh, N.C., was president and publisher of the Raleigh News and Observer and a civic and business leader. His father, Frank A. Daniels Sr., and his grandfather, Josephus Daniels, were also publishers of the News and Observer.
Hester Davis and John Grant were anthropology graduate students at the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill, N.C., when the images in this collection were taken in 1955-1956. Davis and Grant went with a group of anthropology graduate students to do field work observing the community in Qualla Boundary, home of the Eastern Band of the Cherokee Nation in western North Carolina. They used their findings to write their masters theses, which were both published in 1957.
The collection consists of an estimated 1.6 million photographic negatives and prints made by over 40 staff photographers at the Durham Morning Herald (1945-1991), Durham Sun (1945-1991), and The Herald-Sun (1991-2002). The collection includes images taken by staff photographers between 1945 and 2002 chiefly in the city of Durham, Durham County, Orange County, Wake County, and surrounding areas of North Carolina. Included are images of local, state, and national politicians and political events; news events; local businesses; civic groups and other organizations; Durham County, Orange County, and Wake County schools; sporting events; and other images that document daily life in North Carolina. Collection includes both published and unpublished photographs.

E

Elmer D. Johnson attended the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill, N.C., from 1932 to 1951, receiving a BA (1936), MA (1942), and PhD (1951) all in history. Johnson did not take the images contained in this collection, but received them in 1942 from an unidentified fellow student who was leaving UNC to serve in World War II.
Mary Claire Engstrom was born in 1906 in Kansas City, Mo., and moved to Chapel Hill, N.C., to attend the University of North Carolina, earning her Ph.D. in English literature in 1939. After she and her husband, Alfred G. Engstrom, who taught French at the university, purchased the historic Nash-Hooper house in Hillsborough, N.C., she began to focus on the historical documentation of Hillsborough and its environs. She was instrumental in founding the Hillsborough Historical Society in 1963 and served as chair of the Historic Hillsborough Commission, 1964-1966 and 1976-1983. She undertook a project documenting 122 old structures and historic sites in and around Hillsborough and Orange County for the Historic American Buildings Survey, 1963-1965. Her research and documentation helped many of these buildings qualify for listing in the National Register of Historic Places, including the Nash-Hooper House as a National Historic Landmark. She was also involved in a survey of cemeteries and graves in Orange County. Engstrom lived in Hillsborough and continued her historical research until her death in 1997.
Collection materials consist primarily of videotapes of original footage and aired broadcast episodes of Exploring North Carolina, a UNC-TV distributed television program about North Carolina's local landscapes and natural resources. Videotapes feature the plants, animals, geology, and history, both natural and social, of North Carolina. The collection also contains release forms related to the television program, as well as additional videotapes by Exploring North Carolina videographer, Joe Albea, which may not be associated with the television program.

F

Ernesto G. Fabbri (1874-1943) was an Italian linguist who spent a majority of his life in New York City, N.Y. His first wife, Edith Shepard, was the daughter of Margaret Louisa Vanderbilt and niece of George Washington Vanderbilt (1862-1914). Fabbri was a prominent member of the Society of Italian Immigrants and served as the organization's president early in the twentieth century.
In 1923, Charles Anderson Farrell, a native of Yadkin County, N.C., became the first professional photographer for the Greensboro Daily News in Greensboro, N.C. In addition to his work for the newspaper, Farrell operated a photography studio, camera store, and art supply shop in downtown Greensboro. Farrell contributed photographs to several University of North Carolina Press books.
Jerome Friar was born in South Carolina and moved to Rocky Mount, N.C., as a child. After relocating to Durham, N.C., in the mid-1970s, Friar took his first step towards what would eventually become a career in free-lance photojournalism with his coverage of a mass meeting of neo-Nazis in western North Carolina in 1980. The images he took at this event were among his first professional works to be published (and remain among some of his most requested images). Shortly after this event, Friar took his camera down to Nicaragua to cover the situation that was unfolding as the Contra War began in the early 1980s. After covering events in Nicaragua, Friar moved to Washington, D.C., so that he could cover events related to socio-economic issues that were being debated at that time. He remained a free-lance photographer, and his works were regularly used in a variety of publications. In 2008, Friar returned to North Carolina, and he currently lives on Topsail Island. He continues to take photographs of people, places, and events on the North Carolina coast and other locations around the state.
William Clyde Friday was born in 1920 in Raphine, Va., and grew up in Dallas, Gaston County, N.C. He graduated from the Law School of the University of North Carolina in 1948, after which he served as assistant dean of students and was named assistant to University President Gordon Gray in 1951. Friday was appointed secretary of the University in 1955, named acting president of the Consolidated University of North Carolina (North Carolina State College (Raleigh), the University of North Carolina (Chapel Hill), and Woman's College (Greensboro)) in 1956, and became president later in the year. In 1971, the General Assembly restructured higher education in North Carolina, and the Consolidated University became the University of North Carolina System. On 1 July 1972, Friday became president of the new system. He served in that capacity for 30 years, during which time the University System grew to 16 campuses. Friday retired in 1986, after which he became president of the William R. Kenan Jr. Charitable Trust, guiding the philanthropy's support of educational endeavors. Although he retired from public service in 1999, Friday remains influential in many aspects of North Carolina life.
John Moran Frohock attended the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill, N.C., from 1925 to 1929. He graduated in 1929.

G

Roland Giduz was born in 1925 and graduated from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill with a degree in journalism in 1948. He worked for newspapers in Durham and Chapel Hill, N.C., was editor of The Chapel Hill News Leader and The News of Orange County. In 1961, he founded The Triangle Pointer. Giduz became manager of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Alumni Review in 1966. He also served on the Chapel Hill Board of Alderman and ran for mayor in 1969. Giduz died in January 2009 in Chapel Hill.

H

Colin M. Hawkins was a student at the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill, N.C., 1864-1866.
Charles Heatherly graduated from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in 1964 with a degree in journalism. His courthouse photographs appear in his book The Courthouses of North Carolina and Tales that Whisper in the Stone (Harrison Company, Norcross, Ga., 1988).
William Emsley Hipp III graduated from the University of North Carolina at Charlotte in 1974 with degrees in drama and sculpture. During his brief career, he was awarded a number of prestigious commissions to create sculptures of some of North Carolina's most distinguished citizens.

J

William Picard Jacocks, native of Bertie County, N.C., was a physician. He was a graduate of the University of North Carolina (BA), the University of Pennsylvania (MD), and Johns Hopkins University (Doctor of Public Health). After 1914, Jacocks was associated with the Rockefeller Foundation and spent much of his career in Asia, including India and Ceylon (now Sri Lanka), working on eradicating hookworm infections and other health issues. He retired in 1942 and moved back to Chapel Hill, N.C., where he was active in alumni affairs and family genealogy research.
The collection consists of images taken by Dudley L. Jennings (1913-2005), an amateur photographer from Lumberton, N.C., chiefly from the late 1930s through the late 1980s. Included in the collection are images of Colonial Williamsburg, Va., Charleston, S.C., Yosemite National Park, Calif., and locations throughout North Carolina, along with other miscellaneous subjects. The collection consists largely of black-and-white 120 and 35mm roll film, with some black-and-white sheet film and 35mm color slides. Also included are black-and-white photographic prints mounted for exhibition.
Francis Frank Lavergne Johnson (1901-1971) owned and operated the Lavergne of Chapel Hill photographic studio for nearly 30 years. He began his career in photography during World War II, working as a photographer for the United States Navy. Johnson visited Chapel Hill, N.C., on assignment in 1945 to take photographs of the United States Navy Pre-flight School at the University of North Carolina. When the war ended, he and his wife Mary moved to Chapel Hill and opened the Lavergne studio in downtown Chapel Hill. The studio remained in operation until Johnson's death in 1971. During the nearly three decades that the studio was in operation, Johnson photographed countless residents of Chapel Hill and surrounding areas, including many people affliated with the University of North Carolina.
Frances Benjamin Johnston (1864-1952) was a trained artist who turned her talents to photography and became one of the first prominent female photojournalists in the United States. After studying art at the Académie Julian in Paris, France and at the Art Students' League in Washington, DC; Ms. Johnston took up an interest in journalism and began doing illustrations for newspapers in 1885. She eventually turned to photography because she thought it was the more accurate machine and studied under Thomas William Smillie, head of the Division of Photography at the Smithsonian Institution. During her long and successful career Johnston took tens of thousands of photographs of scenes and events all over the United States with an emphasis on Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana.

K

Jack (John) J. Kearins (1915-1993) of Raleigh, N.C., was an agent with the United States Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (ATF) and spent most of his career working in North Carolina.
Charles Charlie Sidney Killebrew Jr. (1921-2009) photographed Rocky Mount and the surrounding areas of North Carolina for nearly 60 years. A native of Tarboro, N.C., Killebrew developed an interest in photography while serving in the United States Army Air Corps during World War II. Upon his return to the United States in 1946, he accepted a position as a photographer for the Rocky Mount Evening & Sunday Telegram. He remained with the newspaper for over 50 years. In 1952, he opened the Killebrew Photography Studio, a private photographic studio. In 1956, he opened Carolina Aerial Mapping and managed the two photographic businesses together for the next four decades. Killegrew continued to have an interest in photography until his death in 2006.
Kay Kyser and Georgia Carroll Kyser were both graduates of the University of North Carolina and long-time residents of Chapel Hill. James Kern Kyser (Kay Kyser) was born in 1905 in Rocky Mount, N.C. He attended the University of North Carolina, 1923-1927, where he was the leader of the cheerleading squad. He is best known as a big band leader and as the Ol' Professor on the radio show Kollege of Musical Knowledge. In 1944, Kyser married model, actress, and singer Georgia Carroll of Blooming Grove, Tex., who had joined the radio show in 1943. In 1951, he and his family retired to Chapel Hill, N.C. Through the Kyser Foundation, Kyser gave scholarships to students of music and dramatic art at the University of North Carolina. He was also instrumental in improving health care in North Carolina, starting the state's public television station, and establishing a highway safety program. Kyser was active in the Christian Science Church, directing the church's radio and television broadcasting division at the Boston headquarters in the 1970s, lecturing, and serving as national honorary president in 1983.

L

Jock Lauterer of Chapel Hill, N.C., is a photojournalist and educator who teaches community journalism, photojournalism, and newswriting classes at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, from which he received his undergraduate degree in 1967. He is the founding director of the Carolina Community Media Project, an outreach initiative in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication. Prior to returning to his alma mater in 2001, he created and ran the photojournalism program at Pennsylvania State University.
Stephen Liu received his AB in chemistry with a double major in economics in May 1998 and his MD in 2002, both from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. In addition to his studies, Liu was a photographer for the Yackety Yack, the University's yearbook.
Albert Lockhart was an African American enlisted soldier in the United States Army (82nd Airborne) stationed at Fort Bragg, N.C. in 1961. While stationed at Fort Bragg, Lockhart was a member of a Parachute Field Artillery Battalion.
The Loeb family immigrated to the United States from Germany in the 1930s after the Nazi rise to power. Together with other families of European Jews, the Loeb family moved to the Van Eeden settlement in Pender County, N.C., in 1939. The Van Eeden settlement was founded by Alvin Johnson of New York City, N.Y., and Hugh MacRae of Wilmington, N.C., to provide farmland for European Jewish refugees. Manfred Loeb was one of two sons. He worked on the farm and attended school in Penderlea, N.C. In the 1940s, the Loeb family moved to Bridgeport, Conn., where Manfred Loeb apprenticed as a baker. In 1948, he married Ann Wolf, whose family had also lived in the Van Eeden settlement. The Loebs eventually moved to Washington, D.C., where they operated a successful bakery for many years.

M

Ben Dixon MacNeill wrote for several North Carolina newspapers, including the Wilmington Star-News and the Raleigh News and Observer. He also had an interest in photography and photographed events he was covering on assignment for the newspapers. He also captured other images of scenes and people around North Carolina. MacNeill retired from the newspaper business in the 1940s and moved to Cape Hatteras, N.C., where he served as publicity director for the Lost Colony dramatic production, wrote several books on the people of eastern North Carolina, and periodically contributed stories and images to regional newspapers. He died in 1960 at his home in Buxton-at-Hatteras, N.C.
Edwin Martin began taking photographs in 1980. His North Carolina subjects, taken 1990-1995, include coastal areas, tobacco farming, and Wake County historic buildings.
Adeline Denham McCall (1900-1989) of Chapel Hill, N.C., was a teacher of music and music appreciation. She taught music education and music history at Duke University and served as music supervisor of the Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools for 30 years. At the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill she taught music for students interested in early childhood education. She authored or co-authored several books and worked closely with the North Carolina Symphony in its outreach program.
Edward Johnson McCauley (1926-2003) was a photojournalist and life-long resident of Burlington, N.C. He spent more than 20 years on the staff of the Burlington Daily Times-News, covering a wide variety of events in Burlington, across Alamance County, and in other parts of North Carolina. He was also a professional portrait photographer, photographic developer, and framer.
Earl Nelson Mitchell (1926-2011) was a professor of physics at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill from the early 1960s until his retirement in 1991. He is author of the photographic textbook, Photographic Science (1984), and co-taught with Ross Scroggs the course, Physics 45: Photography. He and his wife Marlys founded Mitchell Winery located outside of Chapel Hill, N.C., in 1971 and were instrumental in the founding of the North Carolina Winegrowers Association.
Kenneth N. Montgomery attended the United States Navy Pre-Flight School at the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill, N.C., 1942-1943. This collection consists of black-and-white photographs taken by Montgomery during his time at the Pre-Flight School. Photographs depict scenes of training, recreation, dorm life in Stacey Hall, and campus and town views in Chapel Hill, N.C.. Also included are photographs of the Naval Air Facility in New Cumberland, Pa., and postcards of Montreat, N.C.
Rufus Morgan, a portrait and stereograph photographer, was born in Virginia in 1846 and died in California in 1880. He spent much of his adult life in North Carolina and operated studios at several locations across the state, including New Bern, Goldsboro, and Raleigh. Morgan's photographs were taken mostly in North Carolina, but he also traveled to South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, New York, and California.
Hugh MacRae Morton (1921-2006) was a prominent North Carolina businessman, political figure, tourism booster, conservationist, environmental activist, sports fan, and prolific image-maker.
William Starr Myers was born on 17 June 1877 in Baltimore, Md. In 1890, the Myers family moved to Asheville, N.C. William Starr Myers received his A.B. degree from the University of North Carolina in 1897 and his Ph.D. from Johns Hopkins University in 1900. At the University of North Carolina, Myers was active in several organizations and wrote the words for Hail to the Brightest Star, which evolved into the University of North Carolina alma mater, Hark the Sound. Myers was assistant professor and preceptor at Princeton University, 1906-1918, then a professor at Princeton from 1918 until his death in 1956.

N

The North Carolina Botanical Garden is an administrative unit of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. The Garden has been a leader in native plant conservation and education in the southeastern United States for more than 40 years.
Image reference cards relate to frequently requested, popular, and important images from the North Carolina Collection Photographic Archives, the North Carolina Collection, and a few private collections not held in Wilson Library Special Collections. They were compiled by members of the North Carolina Collection reference staff starting in 1970 and ending in 1990.
A collection of unrelated iconographic materials of miscellaneous subject content. Most of the images cannot be identified with regard to precise geographic localities in North Carolina. A few relate to more than one location or to localities outside North Carolina. Primary subjects appear as subject access points; more detailed subjects appear in the contents list.
This is an artificial collection created by the North Carolina Collection at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill from postcards donated over a period of decades. The collection consists of picture postcards dating from circa 1905 to the present arranged by North Carolina county name. Postcards of miscellaneous mountains and miscellaneous scenes of North Carolina are filed at the end. Within some counties additional subdivisions exist by city/town or topic. All 100 of North Carolina's counties are represented in the collection.
The collection consists of images depicting places, events, and people in each of North Carolina's 100 counties. The collection is organized into two series by format and arranged within each series according to county. Images are primarily black-and-white photographic prints and film negatives.
The collection consists of digital photographs taken by winners of the North Carolina Documentary Photography Award, 2012-2015. The North Carolina Documentary Photography Awards is an annual program available to University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill undergraduate and graduate students and is sponsored by the North Carolina Collection in Wilson Special Collections Library. The photographs depict a variety of subjects in different locations across North Carolina, and cover a variety of topics including immigration, farming, economic change, Gullah culture and religious gatherings, and North Carolina businesses.
The collection consists of 66 images of North Carolina railroad stations. Images depict railroad stations in over 40 counties in North Carolina and consists of photographic prints made from images taken by unidentified photographers. Materials are arranged by location, and many descriptions include the name of the railroad company that owned or managed the stations.
The North Carolina Department of Community Colleges was established in 1963 by order of the North Carolina General Assembly. The creation of the North Carolina Department of Community Colleges established a unified administrative body for the state's community colleges and technical institutes.
The North Carolina Department of Public Instruction is the North Carolina state government agency charged with implementation and enforcement of state-wide education policies and procedures.

P

Ben Moore Patrick was working as a writer and photographer for the Durham Herald-Sun when he took the images in the collection between October 1941 and May of 1942. His goal was to document the landscapes, peoples, and communities that would be directly impacted by the construction of Camp Butner in Granville and Durham counties, N.C.
C. Ford Peatross is Curator of the Center for Architecture, Design, and Engineering in the Prints and Photographs Division of the Library of Congress and the Center for American Architecture, Design and Engineering in Washington, D.C. He was a former graduate student in the Department of Art at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Among his writings, Peatross co-authored William Nichols, Architect with Robert O. Mellown, published by the University of Alabama Art Gallery in 1979. William Nichols was born in Bath, England and immigrated to New Bern, N.C., in 1800 and established himself as an architect. He was the state architect for North Carolina from 1817 to 1826, and was state architect or engineer for Alabama, Louisiana, and Mississippi as well.
The collection consists of a single photograph album containing photographs of the University of North Carolina's 1907 senior class. The photographs were taken by Holladay Studio in Durham, N.C., who specialized in university and college groups. The album was originally owned by Quincy Sharpe Mills.
A collection documenting more than 3,500 persons, most of whom have a connection to the state of North Carolina. The collection is arranged by surname and forename.
William W. (Bill) Prouty moved with his family to Chapel Hill as a child in 1919. He graduated from Chapel Hill High School, Oak Ridge Military Institute, and the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill, N.C. Prouty worked as a sportswriter, columnist, and photographer for The Chapel Hill Weekly and The Chapel Hill Newspaper. He died on 23 January 1996.

S

The North Carolina chapter of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity was established at the University of North Carolina in 1857. Collection consists of photographic prints depicting members of the Sigma Epsilon fraternity. Included in the collection are images of Edward Kidder Graham (class of 1898) and John Motley Morehead III (class of 1891).
Alfred Eric Stepney was an African American enlisted soldier in the United States Army stationed at Fort Bragg, N.C., in 1942. He was from White Plains, N.Y.
Stereograph images are composed of two images placed side by side. When viewed through a stereoscope or another similar device, the images appeared three-dimensional. After 1850, these images were frequently produced on cards that could be sold commercially.
William Jasper Stimson (1860-1929) and his son, Benjamin Alston Stimson (1893-1969), were professional photographers based in Statesville, N.C. William Stimson moved to Statesville in 1890 to set up Stimson Studio which was later run by Benjamin Stimson. Benjamin Stimson served in World War I, working as an X-ray technician at Base Hospital 45 in Autun, France, in 1918.
Lamar Stringfield (1897-1959) was a North Carolina native and an accomplished composer, conductor, musician, and teacher. Stringfield studied and composed music based on American folklore and worked with many music ensembles, including symphony orchestras, chiefly in North Carolina.
Don Sturkey (b. 1931) retired as chief photographer of the Charlotte Observer in 1989 after 34 years. The native of Lincoln County, Ga., arrived at his profession by chance; Sturkey joined the United States Navy in 1948 and was assigned to shore duty in Washington. He repeatedly asked to be transferred, including to photography school, and in early 1950 he was granted this opportunity. Sturkey went on to be the first staff photographer at the Shelby Daily Star and worked there for one summer. He attended Gardner-Webb College in Boiling Springs, N.C., and joined the staff of the High Point Enterprise following college. Sturkey began working at the Charlotte Observer in November of 1955.

T

John H. Tarbell (1849-1929) was a photographer who operated a studio in Asheville, N.C., between 1896 and 1901. Originally from Massachusetts, Tarbell returned to New England around 1902 and remained there until his death in 1929.
Tintypes were in production from the late 1850s into the early 1900s. This format (also known as a ferrotype) was invented in the United Sates by Hamilton L. Smith in 1856. The process by which the images were developed was based on the wet collodion process used to produce ambrotypes. The process was quick and cheap, when compared to ambrotypes, and was extremely popular from 1856 till they fell out of use in the early 1900s.
Images taken by Gary E. Trawick depicting scenes made in the 100 county seats of North Carolina between 1993 and 2016. Images chiefly depict courthouses, police stations, and general scenes in the county seats. Also included are notes written by Trawick, reflecting on his visit to many of the locations represented in the photographs.
Tryon Palace was originally completed in 1770 in New Bern, N.C., which served as the first capitol of North Carolina. Tryon Palace was the residence for the governor and his family. The original building burned in 1798. Early in the 20th century, a major effort began to re-construct the original palace. The renovated Tryon Palace re-opened in 1959.

U

Doris Ulmann (1882-1934) was a pictorialist photographer based in New York City, N.Y., renowned for her portraits of both prominent figures in New York City and of people from the rural South. Ulmann attended the teacher training program at Felix Adler's Ethical Culture School, and enrolled in psychology, law, and photography classes at Columbia University, all located in New York, N.Y. She graduated from the Clarence H. White School of Photography in New York City, N.Y. After established herself as a portrait photographer in New York City, she increasingly turned her attention to photographing rural southerners and members of Appalachian mountain communities, to whom she referred affectionately as her mountaineers. In 1929, Ulmann began her collaboration with Pulitzer-Prize winning novelist Julia Peterkin on the widely-acclaimed Roll, Jordan, Roll, a book documenting African American folk culture in South Carolina's Gullah coastal region. Ulmann continued photographing rural communities until her death in 1934.
The Farmers' Institute appears to have been an organization active in the early 1900s as part of the United States Department of Agriculture.
The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) is a federal agency, responsible for creating and enforcing public policy regarding food, agriculture and forestry within the United States. The Oxford Tobacco Research Laboratory was established in 1910 in Oxford, N.C., as a facility for research on tobacco production.
The United States Navy Reserve Officers Training Corps (ROTC) was established in 1926 as a training program on college campuses in preparation for service in the United States Naval Reserve. The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill established a Navy ROTC unit in 1940, training students for service in the United States Navy and Marine Corps. The Navy ROTC program continues to train and prepare students for military service on the campus of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
In February 1942, the United States Navy announced the establishment of a pre-flight school to train naval pilots on the campus of the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill, N.C. The University hosted the second stage of a one-year training program for the servicemen. Cadets began arriving in May 1942 at the rate of about 300 every two weeks until a quota of 1,875 was reached. The program graduated its first class in October of that year. To accommodate the influx of servicemen, the University renovated ten dormitories, expanded Woollen Gymnasium, and built a new infirmary, recreation center (Navy Hall), and athletic field. The Pre-Flight School closed in 1945.
The crosslisted course American Studies 60/Folklore 195 was taught between 1990 and 1997 and again in 2008 and 2009 by Professor William Bamberger at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in Chapel Hill, N.C.
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill celebrated the bicentennial of its founding in October 1993. The two chief photographers represented in this collection are Dan Sears and Rick Beckman. Sears has served as the official University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill photographer since 1992. He has also worked for several newspapers, United Press International, and the Associated Press. Beckman began his career as a photojournalist and taught for 30 years at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Journalism and Mass Communication.
The collection consists of images documenting the history of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill organized into eleven series by broad categories: administration and staff, 1897-1980s; alumni, 1900-1979; athletics, 1890s-1999 and undated; buildings and grounds, 1799-1999 and undated; documents, 1950s and undated; keepsakes, 1980s-1990s and undated; military affairs, 1910-1980s and undated; organizations, 1878-1990s and undated; schools and colleges, 1870-1980s; special events, 1910s-1980s; and students, 1870-1990s. Images are in a variety of formats, primarily black-and-white photographic prints, but also including film negatives, 35mm color slides, 35mm roll film negatives, illustrations, color lithographs, pages from publications, and other types of documents.
The Department of Dramatic Art at the University of North Carolina was established in 1936; prior to that, instruction in the history of theater and comparative drama was given in the Department of English. In addition to academic instruction, the new department produced plays and supported dramatic efforts. The Carolina Playmakers, founded in 1918 by drama professor Frederick Henry Koch (1877-1944), became its production unit. Koch and the Playmakers specialized in folk drama and were considered seminal in the Little Theatre movement of the early 20th century. The group performed plays (many of which were written by students) on campus, and also toured North Carolina and other states. The Carolina Dramatic Association, begun in 1922, was a cooperative program of the Department of Dramatic Art and the University Extension Division's Bureau of Community Drama. A new semi-professional theatrical group, the PlayMakers Repertory Company, was established in 1976. Many persons associated with the study of dramatic art at the University of North Carolina later achieved professional prominence, including Thomas Wolfe, Paul Green, Betty Smith, Shepperd Strudwick, Jack Palance, Louise Fletcher, Anne Jeffries, and Andy Griffith.
The Department of Pediatrics of the University of North Carolina was founded following the 1947 appropriation of funds by the North Carolina General Assembly for the construction of the North Carolina Memorial Hospital. The Hospital (renamed in 1989 as UNC Hospitals) opened in 1952, marking the expansion of the two-year medical curriculum into a full four-year school of medicine. In 2002, the Department of Pediatrics was relocated within the newly opened North Carolina Children's Hospital at the University of North Carolina medical campus in Chapel Hill.
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Library's Photographic Services unit existed from the early 1950s through 2006 and specialized in photographic processes (copy negatives and photo prints), microfilm and microfilm duplication, still photography, positive microfilm printing, and other services for the University Library and other North Carolina libraries.
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Libraries' Photographic Services unit existed from the early 1950s through 2006 and specialized in photographic processes (copy negatives and photographic prints), microfilm and microfilm duplication, still photography, positive microfilm printing, and other services for the University Library and other North Carolina libraries.
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Photographic Laboratory served the University community for almost half a century, from 1946 to 1990. The Laboratory processed (developed) film for University photographers and served as the image reproduction center for University offices, schools, departments, staff, and student activities. Thousands of the images in this collection appeared in a variety of University-related publications (including the Yackety Yack and The Daily Tarheel) in addition to being used in official materials created to provide information about different departments, schools, and departments on campus. The Photographic Laboratory ceased operations in 1990.
The University sponsored School of Medicine was established in 1879 with a two-year medical curriculum. When the School of Medicine's first Dean resigned from the University in 1895 to focus on his medical practice, the School of Medicine was closed. It remained closed until 1890, when it reopened with a one-year curriculum. The School of Medicine returned to a two-year curriculum in 1896. In 1947, the North Carolina General Assembly appropriated funds for the construction of the North Carolina Memorial Hospital. The hospital (renamed in 1989 as UNC Hospitals) opened in 1952, making possible the expansion of the two-year medical curriculum into a full four-year school of medicine by 1954. In 1998, the UNC Health Care System was established, bringing together UNC Hospitals and the School of Medicine under one entity.
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Public Health became the nation's fourth school of public health and first public university school of public health when it was organized as part of the University of North Carolina School of Medicine in 1936. By 1939, the School of Public Health became a separate school within the University and began awarding its first degrees by 1940. In 2008, the school was renamed the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Gillings School of Global Public Health.

W

The collection chiefly consists of both black-and-white and color photographic negatives of various formats taken by Tom E. Walters while on assignment for The Charlotte News and The Charlotte Observer (1950s-1960s), and during his career as a self-employed advertising photographer (1960s-1990s) based in Charlotte, N.C. Also contained in the collection are approximately 1,000 photographic prints, including the images Walters entered into the Annual National Press Photographers Association (NPPA) Competition for the years 1958 through 1962. In addition to Walters' photographic prints are tear sheets, magazines, and various other print materials featuring Walters' images. Also included are printed materials, correspondence, and log books related to the operation of his photographic studio. Earlier materials primarily depict news and political events including civil rights sit-ins in 1958 and 1961, numerous North Carolina and United States politicians, and famous musicians and entertainers. Later materials feature regional businesses and organizations such as North Carolina National Bank (NCNB), Charlotte Country Day School (CCDS), the Mint Museum of Art, and Pentes Design. Notable individuals depicted in the collection include North Carolina Governor Luther Hodges, Jack Pentes, Bones McKinney, Harry Golden, and Carl Sandburg.
Louanne Watley is a photographer and poet based in Chapel Hill, N.C. Her work has appeared in Carolina Quarterly, Calyx, and North Carolina Literary Review.
Harry Legare Watson (1876-1956) graduated from the University of North Carolina in 1899 and went on to careers in law and journalism, chiefly in Greenwood, S.C.
Dr. Bailey Daniel Webb, a descendent of the Webb family of the Granville, Person, and Orange counties area of North Carolina, was a student in the graduate school at the University of North Carolina in chemistry (1937-1939) and biochemistry (1939-1941). She was an early female graduate of Duke University School of Medicine (M.D., 1946) and then a pediatrician in private practice in Durham Co., N.C., 1949-1987. Webb was recognized with the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill's Distinguished Alumna Award in 1998. Her sister, Kate Webb Williamson, was a public health nurse in Granville County in the 1940s and later served as supervisor of public health nurses in Cumberland County, N.C. Kate Williamson was the recipient of UNC-Chapel Hill's first Margaret Dolan Award in 1973.
Louis Round Wilson (27 December 1876–10 December 1979) was born in Lenoir, N.C., and, in the 1890s, attended Davenport College in Lenoir; Haverford College in Haverford, Pa.; and the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill, N.C., from which he graduated in May 1899. After teaching for a few years, Wilson embarked on a long and distinguished career in librarianship, library science education, and university administration. Wilson served as librarian and first director of the School of Library Science from 1901-1932 at the University of North Carolina, and dean of the Graduate Library School at the University of Chicago, 1932-1942. From 1901 to 1932, Wilson served on many University of North Carolina committees, developed collections, and oversaw the planning and construction of two of the University's main libraries: the Carnegie Library in 1907 and the 1929 building that, in 1956, would bear his name. When he returned to Chapel Hill from Chicago in 1942, he resumed his many activities at the University, serving on numerous faculty and special University committees until he retired in 1959. He was a consultant to the president of the University from 1959 to 1969.
John Wallace Winborne (1884-1966), was a graduate of the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill, N.C., and a justice of the North Carolina Supreme Court.
Patrick S. Wooten is a 1993 graduate of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in Political Science, who went on to obtain a law degree and serve as Assistant Attorney General in the North Carolina Department of Justice.
Bayard Wootten (Mary Bayard Morgan Wootten) was a female pioneer in the field of photography. She was successful as a photographer and studio operator from the early 1900s through the early 1950s, when the field was dominated by men. Wootten was born in New Bern, N.C., and, although she travelled across the United States during different periods of her career, North Carolina was her home. Her first studio was attached to her home in New Bern. In 1928, she opened a studio with her half-brother George C. Moulton, a partnership that spanned over 30 years. George and another of Wootten's siblings, half-sister Celia Moulton, helped Wootten keep her studios running in New Bern and Chapel Hill while she was out in the field taking photographs. Wootten lived in Chapel Hill, N.C., 1928-1954, returning to New Bern shortly before her death in 1959.

Y

The Catherine and Robert Yates Collection consists primarily of photographs of Chadbourn, North Carolina, around the turn of the twentieth century. Many images depict the strawberry industry, including strawberry fields, markets, and the first long-distance air shipment of strawberries in 1946. Other images depict Chadbourn streets and scenes, businesses, schools, and railroads, as well as other areas in North Carolina and Virginia. Also included are images of various individuals, including William Harmon Chadbourn.